I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this, I've just registered
So i got the N900 one week ago and i'm still discovering new things in it. I'm fascinated by this new OS. I see that some basic functions in new phones are missing. So what i've been wondering about lately is if the following functions (some already exist in older phones such as my old N76, others are new) will soon appear in the N900 through updates:
1. SMS: folders Sent, Reports, Drafts and My Folders. Keeping the sms'es in conversations like in Gmail is a great idea, but it would be cool to keep them stored in the folders. It doesn't necessarily mean that the same sms would take double the space in the phone's memory.
2. SMS: If a conversation becomes too long and later i'd like to find something that i or my friend wrote, a search area should be included when the conversations application is opened and when a specific conversation is opened.
3. SMS: modify the notification of reports. Now a yellow notification appears when the sms is received. It would be cool to have a sound assigned to that notification.
4. SMS: move the stored sms'es from phone memory to sim card and vice-versa.
5. Contacts: assign ringtones to contacts. I used to have a specific ringtone for my parents and for my best friends.
6. Contacts: assign a contact to a number on the keypad, example - pressing 4 will make the phone automatically call my girlfriend.
7. Contacts: create groups. For example "VIP", "Family", etc...
8. Java so that i can install .jar games (i found some on <competitor link removed by admin> that apparently can work on N900).
9. WAP Internet.
When i'm at home i use my home's Wi-Fi network. However when i go out in the city and there's no WLAN network and i have to urgently use the Internet i should be able to use the WAP. Usually i use the WAP for checking my e-mail, the news, Facebook and Google maps if i need some direction in a new place. Is WAP available on the N900? I tried it yesterday but my local operator doesn't have a configuration for this model. I entered the data manually (it was given on the website of the operator) and nothing...
10. More settings for the Silent profile.
11. Calendar: entries categorized into To-Do, Meetings, Notes and Birthdays. I think that only Meetings are missing here.
12. Calendar: now when i open the calendar it shows by default few previous events and few next events (at this moment i have 2 previous birthdays and 2 next birthdays of February). I switch to "Month view" and when i reopen the calendar it goes back to the Event view. On the widget the current view should remain (today and a list of next events) but it would be great to configure the calendar view according to our taste once we open the application.
13. Adobe Reader application.
14. Edit the brightness, contrast, exposure, sharpness of pictures after
taking them. Add some effect (sepia, black and white, negative, comics, frame). That can be obviously done on the PC but in certain situations one might need to edit them right away when he's not at home.
15. I've also realized that when there are icons to tap on the screen (when opening a picture for example) nothing says what this or that icon is for. It would be great to have such option to keep the finger or the stylus for 2 seconds on the icon and then a tag appears and says that the icon is for sending via... or for cropping. Same thing for the virtual keyboard's top right button (sort of underlined arrow). In short, there should be tagged icons in the next update/updates.
16. Inserting text: in French there are missing french letters. They are now only 7 but they are actually 12 letters (24 with their capital ones). Also in the virtual keyboard when i go to 1!+ and i choose a french or polish letter but i want it Caps Lock it doesn't work, i'd have to use the physical keyboard. Can this function be added to the virtual keyboard too please?
So far that's all i could find missing. Please take into consideration that it's been only a few days that i have the N900 and maybe a couple of these points are already by default in the phone.
Does anyone know how often a new update appears? Maybe there's a way to send our suggestions directly to the development team of Maemo. Like i said at the beginning, Maemo fascinates me and communicating with the development team would be a great way to improve the quality of Maemo